Welcome

They say if you want something done, give it to a busy person. I guess I am using reverse psychology here and saying that I will get more done if I keep myself busy. Thus begins my quest to complete 100 goals before I turn 100 year old. This is clearly an exercise in faith that I will indeed live to be 100. I will use a 'Post' for each goal to give updates along the way. Start the clock: July 1, 2011!

Monday, January 18, 2021

58. Attend 100 Theatre Productions/Concerts

 Like other posts, this one will have to include events prior to starting this bucket list. I guess life is just too short - and my plan keeps getting interrupted by other things. 

1. Billy Joel (Phoenix AZ) 1980's. Score 5/5. When I was a teenager with too much paper route money to spend and a desire to impress too many young women, I went to several big name concerts. I believe this one was held in the old Phoenix Municipal Stadium (state fair grounds.)

2. Elton John (Phoenix AZ) 1980's. Score 5/5. Another awesome concert at "The Mad House on McDowell."

3. Air Supply (Mesa AZ) 1980's. Score 2.5/5. The music was great. Jeannie Henninger was a great date. But being in an outdoor pavilion during a rainstorm did not make for a pleasant concert experience.

4. Saturday's Warrior (Phoenix AZ) 1970's. Score 4/5. As a child who grew up in rural Snowflake, this family outing was a very big city experience. This musical play was written and produced by members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I can still sing just about every song by memory (we bought the album!) Many have tried to duplicate with updated plays and movies...no one really could.

5. My Turn on Earth (Phoenix AZ) 1970's. Score 4.5/5. There was a trend at the time, I guess, to do these church related musicals. This one became another LDS pop culture icon. Great music and very entertaining for a youth my age.

6. BYU Men's Chorus Concert (Provo UT, St. George UT, Salt Lake City UT) 2016-2017. Score 5/5. Our son Daniel was one of the singers, and chief media officer. Several of his videos played in the background of the concerts. We followed him as best we were able to many of his concerts. Very high quality...with the Spirit.

7. BYU Ballroom Dance Company (Surprise AZ) 2019. Score 5/5. World Champions for several consecutive years, this dance company is amazing! The concert was entertaining for youth, playful for kids, and very high level precision dance for the trained eye. 

8. Lion King (London UK, Tempe AZ) 2009, 2015(?). Score 5/5. There is a reason this play became an international phenomenon. The script, the props, the talent, the music...all extraordinary. Whether on a smaller stage in London, or a large state at Gammage, this was one of the best I will ever see. The first time I saw this with my ASU doctoral cohort. The second time Suzanne and I took the kids.

9. Wicked (Tempe, AZ) 2017(?). Score 5/5. Another amazing musical that earned international acclaim for good reason. Our seats were less than ideal, but worth being in the building. 

10. Les Miserables (Los Angeles, CA). Score 5/5. Epic! 

11. Phantom of the Opera (Tempe, AZ) 1990(?). Score 4.5/5. Robert Goulet as the the Phantom was not what I expected, but what a voice! This performance was still close enough in the show's shelf life to be intriguing. Too often a play is recycled so many times it loses its splendor.

12. Kenny G (Sun City AZ) 1980's. Score 3.5/5. Remember the Sun Dome...a 6000 seat auditorium that has since been demolished. Another date night during my teen years. You just can't compare a clarinet concert to a Billy Joel concert. It was nice, but not extraordinary.

13. Dysart High School Dance Concert (El Mirage AZ) 2017(?). Score...a very admittedly biased 5/5. Our daughter Caitlyn performed her senior solo on stage after several years of other concerts. She absolutely nailed the dance. The best part was helping her rehearse in the dance room late a night and on weekends - I had a key to the school.

14. Savior of the World: His Birth and Resurrection (Salt Lake City, UT) 2012. Score 5/5. Performed in the newly constructed Conference Center Theatre on Temple Square, this musical production was one of the most inspiring and engaging version of Christ's life I will likely ever see on stage (not that I have seen any others.) Two memorable take-aways: 1. the music 2. the angels that looked over the stage the entire show.

15. Babes in Toyland (Wickenburg, AZ)

16. The Rockettes (Tempe, AZ)

17. Leahy (Wickenburg AZ)

18. Brian Regan (Tucson, AZ)

19. Millennial Choir (Mesa, AZ)

20. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

100 Things to do

  • 01. Be Debt Free
  • 02. Go on a 2nd Mission
  • 03. Create a Family Photo Book for Each of us
  • 04. Play the Harmonica Well - Done (but still practicing)
  • 05. Paint a Great Work - Done
  • 06. Camp on the Beach (see #51)
  • 07. Buy a New Truck - Done
  • 08. Travel Europe with Suzanne
  • 09. Donate Five Park Benches
  • 10. Raft the Grand Canyon
  • 11. Visit All 50 States (21/50)
  • 12. Grow and Eat Corn - Done
  • 13. Make a Sculpture (50%)
  • 14. Drive a Corvette
  • 15. Visit the Sacred Grove
  • 16. Ride a Bike 50 Miles
  • 17. Earn Six Scout Knot Awards - Suspended
  • 18. Break a Bad Habit
  • 19. Start a Good Habit
  • 20. Read 100 Books (9/100)
  • 21. Build an Outdoor Pizza Oven - Done
  • 22. Play a Song on the Guitar
  • 23. Complete an Intense Study of the Standard Works
  • 24. Eat at 100 New Restaurants - Done
  • 25. Gather a Six Month Food Supply
  • 26. Weigh Under 225 lbs for one Year - Modified
  • 27. Have a Photo Published in a National Magazine - Done (If you count a National Webpage)
  • 28. Find 1000 Geocaches
  • 29. Write in my Journal monthly (Done, but still going)
  • 30. Remember who I am and where I came from
  • 31. Photograph 25 different modes of transportation
  • 32. Lift where I stand!
  • 33. Understand the mysteries of the universe
  • 34. Shake the hand of a Prophet
  • 35. Buy or build a Telescope and study the stars
  • 36. Avoid mediocrity
  • 37. Build a Pergola - Done
  • 38. Make a clay pot
  • 39. Don't get caught up on things that don't really matter.
  • 39. Catch 20 fish (10/20)
  • 40. Value my friendships
  • 41. Give an honest day of work, every day
  • 42. Honor my Priesthood
  • 43. Write a letter to my family each month
  • 44. Get CPR Certified - Done
  • 45. Bowl a 225 game
  • 46. Write a Personal Mission Statement
  • 47. Give
  • 48. Stretch
  • 49. Carry a Simple Conversation in Sign Language
  • 50. Stay Fluent in Spanish
  • 51. Camp at 50 Different Places
  • 52. Solve the Rubik's Cube
  • 53. Learn a new language well enough
  • 54. Master a Handgun
  • 55. Live on a Ranch
  • 56. Build a Custom House
  • 57. Spend a Week in a Camper Trailer
  • 58. Attend 100 Theatre Productions/Concerts
  • 59. Retire With Satisfaction of a Career Well Done
  • 60. Leave a Strong Legacy for my Children